Friends.....I think it's a word that we sometimes take so slightly and use so carelessly. Possibly even take it for granted....the word and the person. I know I do. Social media doesn't help, it actually illuminates the casualness of the terms Friends......
I turned to Webster - not sure why but I was curious about their definition of friend. I was disheartened by it actually.
- A person you know well and regard with affection and trust
- An associate who provides cooperation or assistance
- A person with whom you are acquainted
- A person who backs a politician or a team, etc.
- One who entertains for another such sentiments of esteem, respect, and affection that he seeks his society aud welfare; a wellwisher; an intimate associate; sometimes, an attendant
- One not inimical or hostile; one not a foe or enemy; also, one of the same nation, party, kin, etc., whose friendly feelings may be assumed.
- One who looks propitiously on a cause, an institution, a project, and the like; a favorer; a promoter; as, a friend to commerce, to poetry, to an institution.
- One of a religious sect characterized by disuse of outward rites and an ordained ministry, by simplicity of dress and speech, and esp. by opposition to war and a desire to live at peace with all men.
I mean on one hand I love that you can play a small role in someone's life and earn the name as their friend but....does that make for a true lifelong friend? It makes me think of high school when you would do things for people because you wanted to fit it in and be their friend but it was temporal and so shallow.
The Bible says that "A man of too many friends comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother" Prov 18:24. I understand this verse so much because I struggle enough being a good friend to those close to me and feel guilty when I can't extend the same time and energy and effort to so many others. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to work just so I could be a better friend to people (okay well yes there are many other reasons why I would love to retire too :)).
I mean from these definitions....If I happen to cooperate with you or assistant you at work, will you truly stick closer to me than my own sister? If I'm not a foe or an enemy, will you truly stick closer to me than my own sister? If we are simply acquainted through a social media outlet, will you truly stick closer to me than my own sister?
I think friends come in all shapes and sizes and many degrees of closeness. They all serve a different purpose in our life. As I pondered the real definition of a friend the other day I thought about what kind of friend I am to those in my life. Do I call them friend to fit in or am I investing in their life, praying for them, loving on them.
Then you experience things in your life and you realize that you never would have made it through that situation or out of that trial without the friends that walked alongside you, prayed for you, loved on you, texted you, emailed you....told you that they loved you and when they did you knew.....they truly meant it!
I know my life is blessed because of friends!
I wish I could post pictures of all my friends but I can't...I would be afraid of missing someone so I'll post a picture of some friends that have been true friends for over 24 years!!! I love these girls and we recently got to have dinner and catch up!!